We are working to set up a creative space for organising, educating and community building centered around a bookshop with cultural activity and campaigning in Cork city.
Cork is full of a vibrant sense of community, with an abundance of progressive, creative, talented people across various fields – from activists to musicians, to artists and beyond. We want to establish a center for all of this activity while creating an open creative space in the city.
Are you interested in seeing or contributing to an autonomous center being set up in Cork city?
We are currently rolling out different ways of raising funds so that we can rent a space in Cork City which will build from the ideas of Solidarity Books. This will provide a venue for progressive, independent groups in Cork, along with operating as an open, community-focused space, available for a variety of uses.
We are on the look-out for a building which we would like to be large enough to accommodate a bookshop, cafe, art exhibitions, music, talks and festivals. We want this place to act as a meeting space and a center of activity for all leftist and alternative groups and individuals in Cork. This will be an inclusive space, focused on mutual support, autonomy, equality and working collaboratively to build sustainable structures. We will also be looking for contributions for other uses for the space.
Ever since the closure of Solidarity Books in 2015, Cork has been without an autonomous space where people can meet, organise and hold events.
As the second biggest city in the Republic, Cork has a real need for a community hub where independent and progressive groups can meet, work together, share resources, organise fun events, have days of action or simply to socialise.
Our aim is to fill the current gap and set up a multifunctional and self-sustainable space, run by and for the people as an inclusive, progressive, non-hierarchical organisation.
We plan to use the space to socialise, learn, organise and celebrate.
So far, we have set ourselves up as a formal organisation, establishing ourselves as a Company Limited by Guarantee, with a constitution and ethos behind us.
- Over the coming weeks and months, we will be welcoming members. Membership entails payment (€5 per month or a €60 lump sum per year) which will contribute towards the running of the organisation. All members are welcome to contribute to the organisation, use the space and participate in decision making; we will hold an AGM where all members are invited to have their say – all paid up members will have a vote. We also welcome members who simply wish to support the venture financially.
- We will launch the organisation as well as our membership programme at our Launch Event on Sunday 29th of April, 6:30-9:30, in the Kino, Cork City.
- After the launch, we will start a crowdfunding campaign to raise start-up funds for the new space.
- We are also working to develop key income streams for the organisation which will contribute to the running costs of the space.
- We are currently looking at a number of potential buildings to use as our premises for the autonomous community space, taking their potential into consideration.
- In June 2018 we plan our first AGM. All members will be welcome to contribute to the organisation at this stage.
The current steering committee includes Claudia Dallek, Alan Gibson, Eric Hayes, Joya Kuin, Paidi Madden, John Ryan, Alkisti Stefanidou, Declan Synnott, Matina Velonaki, Marielle Xuereb.
Please get in touch if you’d like to know more or get involved!